Do you love building responsive page layouts from scratch?
Have you ever engaged in a debate about what the appropriate use-case for the <aside> element is?
Do you often go back to refactor your code, but only to change a transition from .3s ease to .35s ease-out?
If so, this gig is built for you and we’d love your help.
As a Creative Developer at Vert, you’ll work with our UI Design and Development teams to bring the interactive things we create for our clients to life. Our ideal candidate not only knows how to write smart scalable code, but also has an eye for interactive design and web layout. Creative Developers at Vert play an integral role in filling in the gray areas between UX Design, Visual Design and Engineering to ensure that the finished product is beautiful, usable and engaging.
You will be responsible for:
- Thinking like a marketer and getting to know our clients’ brands, audiences, and business goals, which form the foundation of everything we build
- Providing creative development support on – and occasionally leading – general day-to-day on projects across a wide array of clients that could include any or all of:
- Building page and component layouts (CSS) that balance pixel perfect implementation with smart, flexible responsive design patterns (because our designers can’t design every view of every screen)
- Assisting in email development, email template development, email dev testing and ESP integrations
- Assisting in HTML5/Rich Media (standard banners, platform specific placements, gmail ads, etc…) best practices and capabilities
- Developing and maintaining strong working knowledge of a wide variety of platforms and deliverable formats, including but not limited to the ones listed above
- Collaborating with Vert’s other functional teams (creative, strategy, media, CRM, SEO, and account strategy) to ensure your work is insight-driven and audience-focused
- Asking questions, spotting challenges, and recommending solutions to support our collective goal of delivering ridiculously innovative, smart, and results-oriented work for our clients
- Have at least 2-3 years of professional experience in a similar role. Note that we didn’t lead with this. We won’t filter your resume out because it doesn’t say ‘2 years of experience as a Creative Developer’, but we have learned that being independently proficient requires a couple of years writing code in a professional setting.
- Have a portfolio site and/or github repo that demonstrates proficiency in at least a few of the ‘responsible for’ items listed above. In other words, if you haven’t written code for email or rich media banners before, no biggie.
- Have a firm grasp of user experience principles. Our dev team plays an integral role in shaping the user journey on our interactive projects and they play the role of usability advocate, ensuring that best practices are always considered.
- Have a foundation in design. Yes, this means you know your way around Sketch, Photoshop and Illustrator, but it also means that you understand design principles like color theory, typographic hierarchy and compositional balance. Our dev team is rarely asked to lead the discussion on design, but for effective collaboration with our design team it’s important that we all speak the same language.
- Love your work! Our team is passionate about our craft(s), and we love learning from others who do. No one loves debugging some weird browser issue that’s derailing the launch of a project, but, if you literally rather be doing something professionally other than writing code, our experience is that negative energy is contagious.
- Be a ‘proactive’ communicator. Our Project Managers love when we explain where we are at with the tasks we have been handed, if there is a problem, if a timeline needs to be shifted, or if there is a blocker. Going silent for an extended period of time only to ‘pop up’ when you have finished all or part of that task creates anxiety, and we all have enough to worry about.
This role may be full-time or part-time depending on the candidate’s preference and external/internal agency factors. We’re interested in finding the right person to work with and can discuss working arrangements that work for both parties. This role sits on the Interactive team and reports to the Vice President, Interactive. The salary range for this role in a full time capacity is $85,000-100,000.
If you are excited about this role but don’t have all of the qualifications, we encourage you to apply! We hire people, not resumes, and don’t want one line in a job description to prevent us from finding the next valuable addition to our team.
Vertbag Perks & Benefits
Join an award-winning team, named one of Atlanta’s Best & Brightest places to work, and 6-time honorees of both the Inc. 5000 & UGA Bulldog 100 list of the fastest-growing companies in America.
- A hybrid work model: We have an Atlanta-based office we love, but how and when you use it is largely employee-guided, and this role may be fully remote for the right candidate
- Profit-sharing bonuses
- No pre-set vacation or PTO limitations
- Monthly WFH/Office hybrid expense stipend
- Continuing education fund & scholarship program
- Competitive employer-contributed Health Insurance + 401(K)
- Paid parental leave
- Dog-friendly office along Zonolite Park in the Morningside neighborhood
- A vibrant, non-competitive, friendly & respectful culture and environment